Literally, as it turns out.
I’ve got multiple projects on the needles at any given time, as I’ve mentioned before. Every once in a while, I get a wild hair and decide to pull out an old chestnut and work on it for a few days, nudging me just a few inches closer to finishing the darned thing. Then I inevitably hit a spot that reminds me exactly why the thing was sitting in timeout to begin with, and it goes back in the project bag for another few months until I forget (again) just how hard/time-consuming/mind-numbingly tedious it was and I pull it out again.
This summer seems to be The Season of Unfinished Sleeves.
Case in Point No. 1:
Sleeves for the CeCe Cardigan which, according to my Ravelry page, I have apparently been torturing myself with since May 2011. It’s actually rather nice to knit and just difficult enough to keep my attention without driving me to drink. And working both sleeves at the same time was a stroke of genius. (I know, I know – I did NOT invent that idea, but it’s still a brilliant one. I will admit, but only to you lovely readers, that I originally started them one at a time, but realized 5″ into the first one that I would rather stick myself in the eye with a DPN before I actually finished the second sleeve.) The problem is that I do have to pay enough attention to the pattern that I can’t do it in front of the TV, which is a pretty important criteria for my knitting lately. And the yarn (Lion Brand MicroSpun) is very soft and lovely, but is also extremely splitty, so I have to keep an eye on every stitch.
Enter Case in Point No. 2:
This, my dears, is the first sleeve for the Beth Cardigan. It’s 18″ of mind-numbing stockinette in the round, broken up only every 8 rows with an increase stitch. The picot cuff was really interesting, and I did learn a few new techniques (God bless Youtube, I have no idea how anyone learned anything before that was invented). But after that, it’s just inches and inches of carpal tunnel syndrome. And I have no earthly idea what possessed me to do these darlings one at a time.
So I have been alternating between the two sleeve patterns, in the hopes that eventually I’ll have at least one finished cardigan to actually wear. We’ll see how far I get with this new project management style.